The 4 C's of diamond education
Choosing your diamond.
The four Cs you need to know!
Buying that perfect diamond can be a daunting task. Prepare yourself by understanding the importance of the four Cs!
The 4Cs are used worldwide to classify the rarity of diamonds and their quality. Diamonds with the combination of the highest 4C ratings are considered rarest and as such most expensive. The four C’s include cut, clarity, color, and carat weight.
- The cut of a diamond has a tremendous affect on its brilliance. Even if the diamond has perfect color and clarity, a poor cut can make a diamond look dull. The brilliance of a diamond depends heavily on its proportions and how it is cut. “Ideal Cut” diamonds are of greatest value.
- In terms of clarity, most diamonds contain minor flaws, or inclusions. The visibility, number and size of these inclusions affect their clarity. Diamonds that are clear create more brilliance, and thus are more highly prized, and priced.
- Diamond color is also of critical importance. Colorless diamonds are the most desirable since they allow the most refraction of light (sparkle). Off-white diamonds absorb light, thereby inhibiting their brilliance.
- Finally, carat weight (size) is another key factor. Bigger is not always better as diamonds of equal carat weight can have very unequal value, depending on their cut, color and clarity. However, because large diamonds are found less commonly than small diamonds, the price of a diamond rises exponentially to its weight.
For more information on diamond quality, characteristics and features visit the following supplier websites:
– ‘The 4Cs Explained‘ provided by The American Gem Society (AGS) Laboratories
- 'The History of the Ideal Cut' and information about the American Gem Society's (AGS) cut standards.
About Canadian Diamonds
Ethically mined and ecologically conscious, Canadian diamonds are quickly becoming the go-to stone for pendants, earrings and rings.
Relatively new to the market, large diamond deposits were not discovered in Canada until the early 1990's - they now make up a 3rd of mined diamonds globally.
Famous for their certified 'conflict-free' origins and strict adherence to the Kimberley Process (an international certification initiative preventing the circulation of diamonds that fund conflict), all Canadian mined diamonds are laser inscribed with a unique identification number and are accompanied by a certificate of authenticity. All Canadian mining operations are overseen by the Canada Mining Regulations for the Northwest Territories. This program uses safeguards for preserving the surrounding land and aquatic habitats, ensuring the protection of Canadian ecosystems.
Like with any diamond, they come in a range of qualities that can impact both the appearance and the cost of the stone. If a Canadian diamond is what you're looking for, let us help you find the perfect one. With our extensive industry connections we can source almost any variety of diamond and are happy to provide you a quote for the best pricing available.
Have more questions?